Saturday, February 20, 2010

And so it begins... SvS01

I have always said, I am two sides of one coin.  First, I love detailed, elaborate cards with lots of texture, embellishments and layers.  I also appreciate simple designs, pretty much the opposite of my general design aesthetic.  I have noticed that card design is now leaning toward the cleaner, simpler cards, something I don't excell at.
SO....  After being inspired by my win at Moxie Fab, I decided to start the Simple vs. Sophisticated Challenge!  This is how it goes...  At the end of each week, choose a card you made and create the opposite style card.  Here are my examples for the first SvS01 challenge:

I made this card for the Play Date Cafe color challenge PDCC17.  The colors to be used were Red, Brown and Linen.  I created this based on my 'It feels like Spring' card I made nearly 2 years ago.  The original one was damaged and I wanted to make another one just like it with different colors. 

Sophisticated Thanks
I don't have an ivory colored embossing powder, so I used white on this card.
Cardstock:  Chocolate Chip, Close to Cocoa, Creamy Caramel, Whisper White
Inks: Chocolate Chip, Close to Cocoa, White Craft
Stamp Set: Spring Solitude
Accessories: Winter White EP, chocolate grosgrain ribbon, non-su! red velvet ribbon, red EP & red snaps

Simple Thanks
I used my Cricut to make the scalloped square set at 4".
Cardstock: Chocolate Chip, Close to Cocoa, Very Vanilla
Inks: Chocolate Chip; SU! markers: Real Red
Stamp Set: Spring Solitude
Accessories: chocolate grosgrain ribbon, non-SU! red grosgrain ribbon & red rhinestones


That's it!  Join me for some fun each Saturday as I become Simply Sophisticated!!!  I will leave up Mr. Linky until Friday @ midnight.
I don't have any blog candy to entice you to play along with me, but perhaps you too need to get outside of your comfort zone!

5 comments:

Julie Ranae said...

Really great idea for a challenge!

So glad you came by The Play Date Cafe with these entries as well...they really work for this week's color combination!

Lovely work : )

Kathryn B said...

I like both your cards they are both very pretty! Your designs on both work well with the colors from the PDC.

Hanne said...

Your cards are so beautiful! Wonderful details!
Hanne

chris f said...

very elegant

Sarah Anderson said...

What a great idea for a challenge! Love both your cards. I especially like the white embossing on the brown...yummy