Monday, March 1, 2010

Floss fun

When the Fun with Floss challenge was first posted at Moxie Fab, I was a bit turned off.  My opinion of embroidery floss crafts have been 'country kitchy', I've only ever seen it used for cross-stitch.  Now don't get me wrong, there are very talented cross-stitchers that make AMAZING works of art.  I tried it when I was younger, but never really could focus long enough to make a perfect final project.  My stitches were always off or uneven resulting in a sloppy creation.
  
I must remember these challenge creators are here for a purpose: create a challenge to make us think outside the box.  I picked up a few floss colors I liked and sat on them.  Inspiration didn't hit me - until last night.  It kept me up for a while as I contimplated the way to make a non-kitchy card with floss.  This is what I came up with.  The opposite of country ktichy style (I hope).  I used my SU! tools kit paper piercer to punch the holes out first then sewed them up into little squares. 
Originally I had stamped a sentiment where the button is, but I didn't like how it turned out.  I came up with the button with french knots to cover up the mistake and reflect the pattern of the squares and unexpected circle.  A little hello from Amazing to Zany and voila!

13 comments:

Barbara said...

WOW, this is such a beautiful card! I love the clean look!
:-)

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Kristin! Thanks for entering the Fun with Floss Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! :)

Wendy Ramlakhan said...

I love how clean and simple it is. Great job!

Eveline said...

Cath is right by picking this card as one of the winners in the challenge. My mouth dropped out, it's just gorgeous.
Eveline.

Amy Heller said...

I agree, it's just gorgeous! Congrats!

Susan W said...

This is perfect! Love it when mistakes take us in a new direction...Congrats on your win!!!

Lisa Voerg said...

Your card is just so beautiful. I love how eye catching it is. Congrats on your win.

Unknown said...

I found you thru Moxie Fab. This card is truly Moxie Fab! I'm favoriting you.
Sharon L

NinaB said...

Congratulations on your MF win! Your card is beautiful.

Michellem said...

This is fabulous! Love it!!

Laurel Beard said...

Wow! I absolutely love this card. The clean lines, the colors and the adorable stitching. You have inspired me to get out my floss and give this a whirl.... THANK YOU SO MUCH

Anthonette said...

This was awesome! I never would have thought of this. Congratulations!

Laurel Beard said...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for sharing such a wonderful technique using floss! I never would have thought to do this. I tried my hand at it today. I started with a circle to try and totally not copy you, but the stitching didn't come out right so I reverted to the trusty square. Here is my take on your wonderful card using your technique.
http://laurelbeard.wordpress.com/2010/03/06/new-on-the-blog-floss-anyone/