Saturday, March 5, 2011

Hostess with the mostess

I am hosting this week's challenge at Our Creative Corner!  This is my very first time hosting a challenge of any kind, so be gentle.  This one is a bit of a doozie...I like to keep you on your toes... it took me several tries to get a result I was happy with.  I love doing challenges that keeps me think outside of my typical box!  My 2 1/2 yr old daughter  Elizabeth inspired this challenge, she's been learning to count...now she's up to 20...but for the longest time she would say, "1, 2, 3, 4, 10, yea!"...we used to cheer when she would get to 5....  So, when developing this challenge, I decided to call it the '1-2-3-4 Challenge'.  Here is how it works:
  • Use ONE pre-patterned paper - not stamped, but you can of course stamp on it.
  • Limited to TWO layers - What is a layer you ask? Your card base is NOT a layer, neither are embellishments. Paper makes up the layers - mats would be considered a layer.
  • Use THREE different stamped images - your sentiment would be one of your images if it's stamped.
  • Limit yourself to FOUR embellishments - they can all be the same, or 4 different, it's your choice!
Here's what I did for it:

I used a paper from Webster's Pages, and cut around the frame with an exacto.  I stamped my sentiment in the frame and heat embossed it with Winter White EP.  I tucked the edge of some Crumb Cake stamped with French Script then stiched the edges.    I stamped and heat embossed the swirls for some added flair...and to get my 3rd stamp in...and used a button, hemp twine, pin and ribbon as my 4 embellishments.  This was harder than I thought, but it was fun to make!

9 comments:

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Beautiful work on a tough challenge, Kristin. Very clever design the way you cut out the flourished frame and slipped the kraft panel into it - subtle and creative!

Thanks for cooking up such a great recipe challenge! Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Hugs,
Linda

Vicki Burdick said...

Beautiful card! Love the vintage feel and your beautiful bow!!

Jennifer Rzasa said...

Thanks to your daughter for such a fun challenge! Although very difficult, this might be my favorite challenge so far on the OCC DT. I love the large flourish on your card, and the bright blue!

Hope you are having a fantastic weekend!

Wendy J. said...

Kristen this is a lovely vintage feel card! I love the deep colors in the flowers and the way you tucked the crum cake piece. The pins are a subtle but lovely touch and the sentiment piece is beautiful. Great job on your first challenge. Have a great weekend!

Diane Gilbert said...

Great challenge Kristin! Love your card, it is beautiful! I guess I got a little carried away with my layers! Wasn't sure if mats were considered layers or not, but oooopppps I guess they are! Thanks again for the great challenge, I really enjoyed it even though I goofed!

Sarah Gough said...

I love that your daughter was the inspiration for this challenge Kristin, way cool! I really enjoyed it, and even managed not to mat! lol Was perfect inspiration for a CAS card.

Lori Rider said...

Great challenge, Kristin, and thanks for sharing the story about your daughter - love it! Your card is gorgeous - I love the swirl and the cut-out frame, and the beautiful bow... just wonderful!

Sharon Wheet said...

Kristin, I have to agree with you. At first I thought this challenge wouldn't be much of a challenge, but then. Oh my. I had to re=think, re-work my work several different times. I love your finished product! Your card is simply gorgeous!

Rebecca Ednie said...

A great challenge and I love the story behind it! Your card is gorgeous!