Monday, February 19, 2024

Foil Fix

Figuring out Foiling hacks!

Hi all!

I'm beefing up my birthday stash and decided to use foils for a few of them.  I have to admit, I do tend to have some issues with foiling.   Sometimes it just doesn't want to play along with me.  With trial and LOTS of error, I think I may be on the right path for foiling perfection, but wanted to share the process of how I fixed some issues instead of just tossing the problems in the circular filing bin.  What tricks have you found work best for your foiling?  Please share them in the comments...we all love to learn!

Since I am in birthday card making mode, it's a perfect project for the Time Out Challenge since it's their 10th birthday!!!  Thanks for all the challenges and inspiration over the years!

I have found that using a heavier 110-140 lb white card stock works best for me, but my 80 lb colored cardstocks have little or no issues with the foiling process.  Not sure why that is since I've used the same weight papers, but I'm not one to upset the crafting Gods, so I just go with it.   For the Altenew Golden Days foil die, I did try using my 80 lb white cardstock with a shim, but alas...but I got over foiling in the negative spaces.  Instead of tossing the panel, fussy cutting the parts off that had the issue is a good solution.  Since the flower was cut before it was inked...I won't make that mistake again... it was smaller than the coordinating Golden Days #1 stencil, so it was not used.  Instead the flower was inked with the remaining stencils using Pink Pearl, Coral Bliss and Crimson Crisp Dye inks.

The background panel was foiled onto colored cardstock with zero issues using Spellbinders Simon Hurley Geo Snowflakes foil die with their Glimmer Opal foil.  It gives a very subtle shimmer while maintaining the background color.  A little ink blending of Coral Bliss behind the flower helps to make it pop off the background.

Finally, left over foil from a previous card using my trusted Versatile Greetings 2 was used for the sentiment...it pays to save scraps....  The flat Essential Glimmer Solid Rectangle hot foil plate allows the negative foil pieces to be used a second time...it's the beauty of using foil.  Those left over pieces come in handy in all sorts of ways!  They were then die cut and added to the card.  Finally, my favorite sequins from Altenew were added for even more sparkle!

Have a colorful day!


3 comments:

Greta said...

Great save on the flower and it's gorgeous inked with just 3 layers! A truly beautiful card and so happy you joined us at Time Out Challenges!

I Card Everyone said...

Kristin, I have so many issues with foiling you don't have time to read my list! ha! But I'm happy you figured out how to accent the negatives - your card is so pretty!
=]

Bonnie said...

Simply Stunning. When you foil you sure go all in. I have avoided foiling for years and just this fall went with the foil quill using my Silhouette. No plates or machine to invest in. I already had the Silhouette so it was just the pen. Now I am adapting my stencil sets for outline foiling and loving the results. Plus I can make my sentiments in any size or font. Now you have me thinking on a bg like you did here.You rock my friend.