Monday, May 8, 2023

Wax seals CAS

 Hello all!

A quick creation here.  I'm trying to embrace the CAS card asthetic, so I'm continuing to participate in as many challenges as I can until it gets easier for me.



These cards I decided to do when I saw the color story they presented at CAS Colors and Sketches.  I don't have the updated SU! papers (I think I last purchased them when I was a demonstrator in 2010) so I used inks, die cuts and my new wax seals to make them.  I used a watercolor technique so the colors would be soft and muted to fit into the Flower Challenge as well this round.


I started with a watercolor ivory paper I have a plethora of...they are actually postcards you can paint on and mail!  100 to a pack, I got them for my art students as a gift for participating in a scavenger hunt at the Toledo Museum of Art a few weeks back.  I always buy more than I need, but they get used one way or another, so I'm not worried.  The paper has a natural texture to them, but work well with watercolors.  

I started by adding a water puddle to the paper, then tapped my brush into ink rubbed onto my work surface and tapped the puddle to send the pigment around.  The pink background one uses Altenew Pink Pearl, while the blue background uses Altenew's Desert Night and Volcano Lake inks.  

I created the card base and added the watercolor panel to them, then die cut the flower stems from Shein...they're not great dies, but they do the trick.

The wax seals I still need to work on my quickness with them...who knew they're so finicky? I combined the 2 blue colors for the pink card and 2 pink color waxes for the blue card. Each was stamped with the sentiment, then highlighted with a gold Sharpie marker.

They were both really quick and easy, hence making 2!

I hope you're having a colorful day!

5 comments:

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

Kristin these cards are stunning - I love the texture of your background and the two-colour wax seal on the first one is fabulous! You are definitely honing your CAS skills. Thanks for playing with us over at CAS Colours & Sketches Challenge!

Michal said...

I love them both Kristin, so beautiful! The wax seals are perfect!! Thanks so much for playing along with us at CC&S!

Viv said...

Such beautiful pastel coloured cards Kristin! thanks for sharing with us over at 'The Flower Challenge' ;) Viv DT xx

Lesley's Stampin Trix said...

Amazing card! The wax seals are fantastic, I love this look, its a terrific way to combine the colours.
Watercolouring is a fave of mine and I've not done enough of it lately, thx for the reminder of how simply and elegantly a card can come together with watercolouring!

Cécile RIBON said...

What a delightful duo of cards! The watercolor backgrounds are beautiful. Thanks so much for joining us at CC&S.