Monday, October 28, 2019

H2O Color Challenge

Welcome back, thanks for stopping by!

Last weeks self-inflicted challenge (SIC) was so fun!  I really enjoyed taking time for myself every day to support my addition creative side.  I'm continuing the challenge this week, but instead of focusing on a single stamp set, this week I will be working with watercolors.

Watercolor class in college was the bane of my existence.  It is something I've NEVER been really been good at, unless it's just an abstract ameba type creation.  I think that's why I like making papers and using them to die cut from or use the free form amebas as backgrounds.  That's easy.  No focal point to perfect, just free painting all over the paper.  Because actually making a watercolor painting, not so good for me.  The paints end up grainy, or I use too much paint, or too much water, AND then the creation doesn't look at all what I had planned!  UGGH!....I think I may have a mild control problem....

However....I love, love, LOVE, the beautiful watercolor flowers I have been seeing everywhere!  That's what drew me to Altenew when I came back to paper crafting this year.  There are many beautiful and delicious sets to watercolor....I'm obsessed with their stamps, which doesn't help with my addiction....  I have tried to do some, but have hated each and everyone I've made.  Hence, my theme for this week.  I will master this technique!!!....or it will kill me, either way should be entertaining content for you....

I decided to pull out Altenew's new stamp set Grateful Heart.  Erum Tasneem on the Altenew team makes the MOST BEAUTIFUL watercolor flowers, they just make my heart sing!  I thought I'd tackle it with this stamp set.

 Perhaps I should have watched more of Erum's lovely videos?  Perhaps I should have chosen a simple image? I definitely should not have selected a lovely parrot tulip, with all it's variegation, stripes and texture....they are one of my favorite flowers....for my first foray into the H2O world.  The other 'should'?  I SHOULD have realized it WAS a parrot tulip when I STARTED and not until AFTER I had finished my painting....my 20+ years of florist-ing completely failed me....  Seriously, how did I not see it?  I mean, the leaves TOTALLY read tulip!!  *sigh*

I ended up using too much paint, not enough water, too much control and the image is pasty instead of clear and transparent.  *sigh*.  Anyhow, I am putting this baby out there.  It's not horrible, I mean, it does read flower.  The lovely orange color with the touch of lime green was inspired by the JUGS photo challenge this week.  I don't have any pumpkin/fall stamps and my Sunflower Daisy stamp set is still smoking from all its work last week!


The results thus far:

Watercolor - 1
Kristin - 0

Stay tuned to see if I make it out of this week alive....

Have a water-colorful day!



2 comments:

Bobby said...

Two things: I did not know it was a tulip either but I love the image (need to buy it for myself) and you did a fabulous job of coloring it. It may not look like you imagined but the final result is gorgeous, Kristin. Thanks for sharing your card with us at Just Us Girls.

Ina G said...

OMG I am blown away at the beauty you have achieved with this stamp Kristin. The colours and depth is amazing. I am in awe of this stunning card. Love it. Thanks soooooooo much for sharing your beautiful card with us at Just Us Girls this week.