Saturday, September 3, 2011

School struggles and the OCC challenge

Hello Ladies!

It's another challenge at Our Creative Corner.  This week the challenge is hosted by Holly, one of our new DT members and it's a fun one!  The challenge is to make a creation with stamping on pre-patterned paper.  This is a technique I need to do more often, I love the look.

This creation I used patterned paper scraps to make a base like Betsy Veldman did here.  I stamped the circle with white pigment and heat embossed it on my scrap paper and die cut it out.  I didn't think the stamped image stood out enough so I gently rubbed some Soft Suede on it to help it stand out.  I also stamped the apple image on the background paper just to make it  more "school-y". 

I made this for my oldest daughter....This is her the morning of her first day of school....  She started 2nd grade this year at a new private school.  She's really having a hard time with the change.  I know it's what's best for her education, but watching her struggle is heart-breaking.  She's making friends, but doesn't feel like she belongs....perhaps its the uniforms?.....  Having moved several times as a child, I can relate to her fears.  So, my only solace is that I turned out o.k....didn't I?... each time we left our comfort zone.  I'm hoping the little notes I've been sneaking into her lunchboxes gives her a pick-me-up during the day.  All of you that know us, send her happy thoughts over the next few weeks.  Every little good thought will help!

6 comments:

Marjie Kemper said...

Kristin, your card is so sweet! I love the way you used the apple to make it more school-y. Such a neat twist on back to school! I hope your daughter settles in soon. It must be hard but hopefully she'll make some new friends in short order. She looks like a pistol!!!

Tui Nathan said...

Oh, Kristen your card is just beautiful, I love the simple design, so very very pretty - I really love the texture and the gorgeous bow ... and the stitching looks fabulous!!!
I am sure that your little one will settle in quite nicely to her new school soon enough, once the new school jitters wears off she'll be right as rain!!! Sending loving thoughts your way!!!

Holly Barrett said...

This is so wonderful - a beautiful change to the normal "school-time" colors. The burlap adds great texture and the patterned paper behind the sentiment is a nice compliment. Hope your daughter finds her stride soon!

Sharon Wheet said...

Kristin, I love all your attention to detail! I love how you stamped on the pattern paper circle with the 'back to school'. the negative alphabet stamp on your medalion. The apples are fitting! And I love the material you added to hep create the softness. LOVE IT!

Unknown said...

This is so pretty Kristin!! Fantastic job on the Holly's challenge! I especially love the way you stamped the sentiment on the DP!

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

So sorry I never made it by to comment on this card last week, but I couldn't leave today without telling you how much I like it! The colors are wonderful and I love the embossed medallion you made. That white burlap is fantastic too (have some on order for my Etsy store - can't wait to play with it!). Hope your daughter's first week of school went well and that she is settling in.

Hugs,
Linda