Thursday, September 19, 2019

Hardest. Card. EVER!!

Hi y'all!


Well...I have just completed my first interactive card that wasn't a shaker card.  It was HARD!!!  Kudos to all those artists out there that can make these suckers in their sleep.  I struggled, and cursed, and re-did every aspect at least TWICE....if not more....while working on this creation.  I'm tellin' ya, it was a labor of love and determination!  AND....I'm obsessed with it!!!  It's so darn cute and, after all that hard work, the interactive part actually works!!  Thank you to My Favorite Things for the 2019 Card Design Super Star challenge, it REALLY pushed me outside of my comfort zone.  I've made this card for the 'Innovation Master' category.

Being a novice at interactive cards, I did some research on what to create.  I searched and searched.  I wanted to do something different....because I apparently like to torture myself....and most of what I found I had seen before.  I pulled out my MFS stamps to encourage my inspiration.  Then I spotted it.  The London Mouse set.  It has been retired, but it's still one of my favorites.  I LOVE the taxi and double decker bus in the set, I used one on this little ditty not to long ago.  This set reminds me of a trip we took London 2 years ago.  That's when it hit me...I wanted to make the cars look like they were driving by!  Perfect!

I looked for instructions online to make the turning panel, but couldn't find anything.  I'm sure there is one out there, but for the life of  me, I couldn't find one.  I decided I needed to engineer one and started with straws, lots and lots and LOTS of foam and tape, packing tape, acetate and 2 food picks.  Epic fail.  After many....many, many....attempts, it didn't work.  The images were too large for my vision to make the risky turn around....they have a terrible turning radius....however the little mice were the perfect size.  I set to try and make that work.  With a little experimentation and pulling out my almost dead laminator I was FINALLY able to make the mechanism work.  Here it is as I was engineering it.
 Yup, that's a Popsicle stick in there...


And this was my work space when I was only 1/2 done with it and about 4 hours in.

Yup.  It's a disaster, and that's just my desk area!  I didn't take any photos of my cutting or die cut area because it was just too terrible to behold....I've spared you all the horror!.....  BUT....I got my vision to work!  Here is the adorable little creation in action....
EEKK!!!  I know, right?!?  Too adorable!  I showed it to my hubby when I was done because I was so proud of myself.  He thought it was cool but I should have made it automated.  I almost killed him.  He's on life support now.

Here are close-ups of all the scenes it created.


 These are the rain clouds and rain, 'cause it rains a lot there.

Here it is with the cutie patootie mouse...





1 comment:

Rachel Alvarado said...

Wow! I can tell that you definitely put a lot of work into this, Kristin. Beautiful job! I love watching the video! Thanks so much for playing along in the competition!