Thursday, June 15, 2023

Still learning...

 Hi all!

Learning a new skill takes time and I really need to be patient with myself.  I'm starting a YouTube channel as was suggested, and it's harder than I thought it would be!  Any one have any pointers?  Until I get that up and running (hopefully by the 1st of July) I'm trying to keep going with some challenges.


I received this Altenew Botanical Line Art Set w couple weeks ago, it's part of their amazing Craft Your Life series.  I think this was a one-time offer set as I don't see it on their site, but you should join the subscription, otherwise you can miss out on some really beautiful limited edition sets!  I feel this set lends toward a loose watercolor type of coloring, so I opted to use my Atenew watercolor pan set for it.  Like videography, watercolor painting has always been elusive.  I always ended up with grainy washes, but love the look of a beautiful watercolor botanical like the ones from the uber talented Helen Dealtry.  Someday I will paint like her, but until then, this stamp set is a perfect substitution.  

I started by heat embossing with white powder the images onto Bristol cardstock.  I like the smooth texture it has. Since I didn't have any smooth watercolor paper left, its a good substitution.  I decided to follow the Altenew's June Inspiration Challenge color story and started by filling in the background of the flowers with Evergreen paint.  I hated it...like really hated it.  I figured I just needed to fill int he flowers with the purple and pink colors.  I painted the blossoms and added a bit of salt to the washes to give the blossoms some texture.  Now that I loved!  HOWEVER...I still hated the green background.  

I decided to do what I avoid at all costs...I fussy cut the blossoms.  Much better.  I did use the left over background paper for the leaves in the background...still didn't like it, but since it's not the entire background, I deemed it passable.  I placed all my pieces on a dark green panel that I splattered with Evergreen and gold shimmer watercolor paints.  Very subtle.  I finished it off with a white heat embossed sentiment from the same set.  

It may not look like much of a sympathy card with it's bright colors, but I figure that's when people need some brightness in their lives...right?

Have a wonderfully colorful day!

1 comment:

I Card Everyone said...

Practice is always the best way to learn, Kristin and your card today proves it! how will we ever get better and find our own individual 'style?' I think I've found yours!
I am so afraid of color - you have embraced it beautifully today and are so right about needing it at all times!
Thanks for stopping by today - I really appreciate your kind words - and need to get your email address!
=]